Cabbage Soup Recipe2013-04-25
Average Member Rating
(4.4 / 5)
8 people rated this recipe
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 2:10 h
- Ready In : 2:25 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat78
Cabbage soup is a hearty, peasant style soup, but don’t let that stop you if you are looking for healthy soup recipes.
This one has it all.
It’s a delicious soup that really is a meal in a bowl.
The recipe makes a very large amount so feel free to cut it in half if you prefer.
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds beef soup meat, left whole or cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 green cabbage, chopped into fairly small pieces
- 4 onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced or diced
- 4 or 5 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 8 garlic cloves
- 3 - 28 ounce cans tomatoes
- 1 bouquet garni (made by tying together 12 sprigs parsley, 2 bay leaves and 2 celery stalks cut into thirds)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- juice of 2 lemons
- 5 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
Trim the fat off the meat and brown well, in batches, over medium high heat, using 2 to 3 tablespoons of the oil. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Remove the tough outer leaves of the 1/2 cabbage, then core and shred it. Add 1 more tablespoon of oil to the pan and brown the cabbage well over high heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Peel and slice the onions. Add 1 more tablespoon of oil to the pan and brown the onions well. Return the meat and cabbage to the pot. Peel and dice the garlic and add to the pot. Add the tomatoes, other vegetables, bouquet garni, thyme, lemon juice and sugar.
Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Add salt and pepper part way through the cooking time, then adjust the seasoning at the end if needed. Shred the meat if you have left it whole.
- As stated above, simply leave out the beef to make this a delicious vegetarian soup recipe.
- Add other vegetables if you wish. Try peas (add them in the last 10 minutes only), chopped celery or green beans.
The beef cooks up beautifully tender with the tomatoes and cabbage, but just leave it out if you prefer a vegetarian soup.
Cabbage, garlic, onions and tomatoes are all extremely good for you, so this is a very healthy meal. It is a good diabetic recipe. If you are really keeping your carb count low, I would leave out the potatoes or replace them with something like green beans or zucchini. It is really a whole meal in a bowl, so it really is quite a healthy soup recipe and good diabetes recipe.
If you like this recipe, I’d love it if you would Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, and Like it on Facebook. Share your own favorite recipes below. Thanks.