Caesar Salad Recipe (The Original)2013-04-25
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
3 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 4 to 6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 5m
- Ready In : 20m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat369
This supposedly is the original Caesar salad recipe from Chef Caesar’s daughter Rose Cardini.
It is so delicious you won’t believe it was first created out of whatever the chef had left in his kitchen!
This salad is such a rich and delicious salad recipe you will make it over and over again.
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups French bread, cubed
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 8 anchovy fillets
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 coddled eggs - see how to coddle eggs below
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shaved or shredded Parmesan cheese
Fry bread cubes in some of the olive oil, as needed. Toss until crispy and golden. Set aside to drain on paper towels.
Crush the garlic cloves and salt into a paste in a large wooden salad bowl, using the back of a wooden salad serving spoon.
Add the anchovies and do the same. Add the Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, lemon juice and pepper. Whisk in the remaining oil until thoroughly combined.
Add the grated Parmesan cheese and whisk again until combined.
Add the shredded lettuce and toss thoroughly. Add the coddled eggs and toss until the lettuce is coated with the egg. Top with shaved or shredded Parmesan cheese. Serve.
To Make Coddled Eggs:
- Put egg (in the shell) in saucepan of room temperature water. Bring water to a simmer and simmer 1 minute. Drain and cool egg immediately by running cool water over it. It will be soft and the white still runny.
- Adding the eggs is optional but oh so good.
Did You Know?…
This recipe for caesar salad makes a great side dish with so many dinner recipes, but is also a substantial lunch salad on it’s own, served with some crunchy bread rolls.
I don’t know too many people who don’t like caesar salad.
You have to give this one a try.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.