Chinese Broccoli Beef Recipe2013-04-28
Average Member Rating
(4 / 5)
8 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 25m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat67
Protein foods are a large part of a healthy diet.
This Chinese broccoli beef recipe is a stir fry beef and broccoli recipe that is quick and easy to prepare and adds protein from the beef strips.
Make sure you have gluten free soy sauce if you really need this recipe to be gluten free.
Chinese Broccoli Beef Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean beef steak (round steak is fine)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 cups broccoli, in small flowerets
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced into 1" pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- cooked rice
Slice beef thinly across the grain. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce and set aside to marinate while you get everything else ready.
Mix together the broth, soy sauce, cornstarch and ginger and set aside. Spray a cold frying pan or wok with non-stick spray and heat to mid high heat.
Add broccoli, mushrooms, red pepper and green onions. Cook, stirring at all times, for 3 or 4 minutes. Vegetables will be tender but still crisp. Remove vegetables from wok.
Add the oil to the wok, being careful as the pan is quite hot. Add beef slices and stir fry for 2 or 3 minutes until beef is just slightly pink in the center. Push the beef away from the center of the pan.
Stir the sauce mixture again then add to the center of the pan. Cook the sauce with the beef, stirring at all times, until the sauce thickens and bubbles.
Return the vegetables to the wok or pan. Stir all together until everything is well coated and heated through.
Serve over hot cooked rice, or alone if you want a meal lower in carbohydrates.
Variations and Tips:
- This Chinese broccoli beef recipe is not a high fat dish but if you really want to lower the fat content, omit the oil for frying and fry in a non-stick pan or wok.
- To slice beef very thin partially freeze it, or if frozen, slice before it is completely thawed.
- Experiment with other vegetables – red pepper, peas, asparagus, carrots, celery, sugar snap peas, corn are all great additions to a stir fry.
- For more variety, look for Chinese vegetables and try an even more authentic stir fry. Look for bok choy, napa cabbage, bean sprouts and snow peas. Turn it into an authentic Chinese Broccoli Beef recipe.
Did You Know?…
Stir fry recipes are a great way to include more vegetables in our diet. You can pack the pan with a variety of great veggies and the mix will taste delicious.
Stir fry recipes really are just a guideline.
If you have a vegetable that your family prefers, put it in. Don’t like something? Simply leave it out.
Healthy and delicious AND from start to finish, dinner is ready in 30 minutes. Can’t beat that!
Broccoli is also one of the healthiest foods to eat and one that we should include on our menus often.
If you like this recipe, we’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.