Leftover Turkey Recipe: Sweet and Sour Turkey2013-05-09
Average Member Rating
(4.4 / 5)
8 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 25m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat78
Another leftover turkey recipe, this one adds a little sweet and sour to the bird.
I love turkey, as most of us do, and turkey leftovers are wonderful.
It’s nice to take a break from the regular casserole type turkey leftovers, as good as they are.
Sweet and Sour Leftover Turkey Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 red or green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 - 19 ounce can pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sweet mixed pickle liquid
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 cup sweet mixed pickles, quartered
Sauté vegetables in butter until tender-crisp.
Drain pineapple reserving juice. Add water to make up 2 cups liquid. Stir into mixture of sugar and cornstarch until smooth.
Add mixture to vegetables with pickle liquid, ketchup and soy sauce. Cook stirring constantly until thickened, about 3 minutes.
Add pineapple, turkey, and pickles. Heat through and serve over cooked rice.
- Use fresh or leftover chicken and this becomes a terrific sweet and sour chicken recipe.
- If you wish you can coat the turkey or chicken pieces with egg then flour and fry them to create a batter as in the image.
There are just so many times you want to eat hot turkey sandwiches and casseroles. This recipe for sweet and sour turkey is a nice change.
Of course, you can also use this recipe with chicken.
Either way, it’s a nice sweet and sour recipe. I think you will enjoy it.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.