Crockpot Taco Soup Recipe2013-05-21
Average Member Rating
(4.8 / 5)
9 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 8:000 h
- Ready In : 8:10 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat80
This taco soup recipe couldn’t be more simple.
Just brown the beef, throw it and a few other ingredients into the crockpot.
Let it sit for several hours while you go off and do other things, and like magic, you come back to a delicious soup ready for the family to eat.
Crockpot Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 16 ounces canned chili beans, drained
- 15 ounces canned kidney beans with liquid
- 15 ounces whole kernel corn, drained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces canned green chili peppers, chopped
- 1 envelope taco seasoning mix or homemade seasoning mix (see below)
For the taco seasoning mix: Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Store in a tightly covered jar, or for a short while in a plastic baggie. The plastic baggie will just dry out faster.
Brown the ground beef until cooked. Drain well. Place the browned beef plus all the other ingredients in the crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano (powdered oregano ideally)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional, but rounds out the flavor nicely)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Like it hot? Add as many drops of your favorite hot sauce as you like. I would add it closer to the end of the cooking cycle.
- If you don’t have taco seasoning or prefer to make your own, use the easy recipe below. It will make the equivalent of 1 package of commercial taco seasoning, about 3 tablespoons.
You can certainly use a packaged taco seasoning mix, but it is so much healthier to use your own. It doesn’t take much longer than opening the bag to make your own, and none of those preservatives are in your food.
Replace the ground beef with ground chicken or turkey to make the soup even leaner.
Because this soup is cooked it a crock pot, which keep the food cooking at a continuous very low temperature, you can actually leave the soup in the pot while you go to work and come back to a great dinner.
An extra hour or so in the crockpot is not going to hurt and crock pots are very safe to use while you are out.
All of that makes this a very easy dinner recipe. Just add some great bread and a salad, and a healthy dinner awaits!
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.