This tomato and asparagus salad is just a bit different. You don’t often see recipes pairing these two vegetables, but they really taste great together in this easy salad recipe.
The dressing is a simple olive oil and red wine vinegar mixture with shallots and parmesan cheese for a bit of extra zing. I think you will love it. Use the form below to let me know or to send in a favorite recipe of yours to share with others.
Tomato & Asparagus Salad
- 1 1/2 lb asparagus, bottom ends trimmed
- 3/4 lb cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- parmesan cheese, shaved or grated
- Steam the asparagus until it is bright green and tender. Rinse the asparagus under cold water, then drain it thoroughly and transfer to a serving bowl. Add the tomatoes and shallots and stir to mix.
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid combine the oil and vinegar. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste. Shake it vigorously to mix well.
- Pour the vinaigrette over asparagus and tomatoes and toss. Sprinkle shavings of parmesan cheese on top or grate parmesan cheese over the salad.
Trimming the Asparagus:
You probably already know this, but those newer to cooking asparagus may not know that you have to trim the woody ends before eating it. To do that hold each spear of asparagus about halfway down the stem with one hand. With your other hand, snap off the stem end of the spear. It will snap easily at the point where the asparagus becomes tender.
This is a very healthy diabetic recipe. It is lower in carbs, which is important in a diabetic diet and gives you the benefits of olive oil, a very healthy fat.
You can use the tougher ends for asparagus soup or save them to add to the pot when you make your next vegetable stock.
If you like this asparagus and tomato salad recipe, you may want to browse all of our salad recipes.
Look here for more ideas on how to cook asparagus.
Be the first to know about new recipes and articles on Cookingnook.com. Sign up here for site updates and never miss a great recipe.