I love baked chicken.
It is usually so easy to prepare that it makes an easy dinner recipe any night of the week.
This recipe is no exception.
It is a wonderful herbed chicken recipe that combines chicken pieces, vegetables and herbs in an easy to prepare dinner recipe.
The right simple ingredients combined together make for delicious eating.
The addition of the white wine gives this recipe a wonderful subtle flavor that cooks into the meat and adds an amazing amount of flavor to the dish.
I love one pot meals. Add a few cubed potatoes and this becomes a complete meal in a pot. Or serve it with creamy mashed potatoes covered in the lovely wine sauce that results.
French Herbed Baked Chicken
- 3 pounds chicken, cut up
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or shortening
- 12 pearl onions, peeled or 2 small onions, chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 pieces celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat a skillet and the oil or shortening. Brown the chicken pieces in the frying pan. Place them in a 2 quart casserole. Brown the onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms, in batches if necessary. Drain off the fat, then stir in the spices, and wine. Pour all of it over the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cover the casserole and bake for 75 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
- Turn this into a meal in a pot by adding a couple of cubed potatoes to the pot with all of the other vegetables.
- If you prefer, you can replace the wine with chicken stock.
Note for Diabetics:
Some diabetic medications require that you don’t drink alcohol. If you are on one of those, please just replace the wine with chicken broth. It will still taste great. Other than that, this is a great diabetic recipe.