This classic baked garlic chicken recipe is also known as 40 Garlic Chicken, or Ali Baba Chicken by some.
Yes there really are 40 cloves of garlic in the chicken!
Don’t worry though. The garlic becomes sweet and fragrant as it roasts.
When you are looking for healthy recipes that include protein foods, this easy garlic chicken is ideal. And it’s simple to prepare, even for beginner cooks.
I like to be able to show you how to make recipes even healthier, but the truth is this recipe is fantastically healthy as it is. We all know how healthy garlic is for you and this recipe certainly has lots of garlic.
Chicken without the skin is a very lean protein and this chicken is cooked in a very low fat way. Don’t worry about the little bit of olive oil. It’s a very healthy fat and a little goes a long way in this recipe.
This is must try recipe, especially if you love garlic.
Baked Garlic Chicken Recipe
- 3 to 4 pound whole roasting chicken
- salt and pepper
- 40 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Sprinkle the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper. Stuff garlic cloves into the cavity. Tie legs together. Tuck wing tips behind chicken's back.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a greased wire rack in a roasting pan. Brush chicken with oil. Pour stock into pan. Top with sprigs of thyme.
- Roast chicken at 350° for 25 minutes per pound (1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours for an average bird), basting often with juices and stock from the pan.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Discard string. Remove garlic cloves and mash.
- Garlic cloves can be spread on the chicken or on toasted rounds of French or Italian bread for an extra treat.
This is one of our fabulous diabetic recipes. It’s low carb and has just a bit of healthy fat. Dig in!
Make it a garlic night. Serve this great chicken recipe with our roasted garlic mashed potatoes.