Bannock is a yeast free bread that can either be fried or baked. It is a staple in the diets of many North American indigenous groups.
This version, originally submitted by Janet F of Cumberland House, SK Canada, is baked.
Janet says this recipe: Makes the best bannock for any meal breakfast, lunch or supper even great for a snack when the kids are hungry and cannot wait for their meal.
Some people fry their bannock, so that is an option too if you want to try that. Either way it looks so good.
You can use bannock for so many things. I have even seen it used as a burger bun, pizza base or dessert, with lots of sweet toppings.
Give it a try.
- 3 cups flour, or half and half whole wheat and white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup oil, or olive oil
- 1 cup water, or milk
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Mix all dry ingredients into a big bowl. Add water or milk and add the oil of your choice. Mix all ingredients together until the batter becomes like bread dough, not sticky.
- Put flour onto table surface then roll the dough with your fists for about 2 minutes, like making a bread dough. Pound the dough into a round ball then slowly expand the dough by making it nice and round about half inch thick and should be round like a pie plate. Make holes with a fork by poking it all around the dough from top to bottom.
- Then with your cookie sheet ready put the bannock onto cookie sheet and bake it at 375ºF until it becomes golden brown. Spread lard on the bannock when it comes out of the oven to keep it moist and Delicious. You will enjoy this bannock and do not worry if does not turn out well practice makes perfect.
Serves about 8.
You can adjust the thickness of the dough if you prefer your bannock bread to be thin or thick. Make sure the thickness of it is say 1 inch and thinner in size. The thinner bannock dough would be about half inch and rounder more than a pie plate and do not forget the holes in your bannock. Also, don’t forget to adjust your baking time. The thinner the bannock, the shorter the baking time needed.
Enjoy with real butter.
Optional: Add 1 cup of raisins and 3 tablespoons of sugar into the dough when you are mixing the ingredients together.
If you like this recipe, I would really appreciate it if you share it on social media. Thanks.