You don’t find too many bean sprout recipes around, so I was really happy to be sent this one.
Bean sprouts are so low in calories, but surprisingly high in nutrients.
This light Asian flavored side dish is not just a great accompaniment for Chinese dishes. I would serve this with chicken breasts baked with soy sauce, or grilled beef.
The walnuts in this recipe are a nutritional bonus. They are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, also found in salmon. Our body cannot produce Omega-3 fatty acid and we tend to get far too little of it in our diets. Walnuts are also a very good source of mono unsaturated fats, the same fat found in healthy olive oil.
The only way I can think of to make this recipe even healthier is to cut down on the amount of oil you use to cook the bean sprouts and to use a good quality cooking oil. Better yet, have you tried coconut oil yet? It’s fabulous tasting with just a hint of coconut flavor AND tremendously healthy for us. Make sure it is virgin coconut oil, which is actually solid at room temperature.
Bean Sprout Recipes: Stir Fry Bean Sprouts
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated fresh
- 2 or 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok on medium heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook until the mushrooms have released their juices.
- Add the sprouts, ginger and green onions. Cook and stir until the sprouts are heated through and coated with the oil mixture.
- Add the walnuts and soy sauce. Cook and stir for about 30 seconds.
Makes 6 servings.
For all of the reasons mentioned above this is a wonderful diabetes recipe. It is low carb and full of healthy fats in the walnuts.
Stir fry bean sprouts are also great as part of a vegetarian meal. Try serving it with other Chinese vegetable recipes for a vegan or vegetarian feast.
Want to be the first to know about new recipes and articles on Cookingnook.com? Sign up here for site updates and never miss a great recipe.