Our oven-baked beef bourguignon recipe is an elegant meal to serve to company.
It makes a great family dinner too, especially for special occasions.
Beef chuck or beef rump roast is certainly not an expensive meat, but it gets dressed up in this easy dinner recipe.
Slow cooking allows the meat to become tender and wonderful.
If you have wanted to try French recipes but thought they might be too intimidating, this recipe shows you just how easy it is to put this delicious meal on the table.
Oven Baked Beef Bourguignon Recipe
- 4 pounds beef rump roast, or beef chuck, cut into 1" cubes
- 1/3 cup cognac, warm
- 2 onions, whole, each stuck with 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 4 cups dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 slice orange
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 18 pearl onions, peeled, or two onions chopped
- Heat a Dutch oven (or other large oven safe covered baking dish) over medium-high heat. Add beef and brown thoroughly on all sides. Pour warm cognac over beef and ignite with a match. Allow flames to burn out.
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF.
- Add 2 cloved onions, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, dry red wine, salt, pepper and orange slice. Bring to a boil on top of the range. Cover Dutch oven, place in the preheated oven and bake about 2 hours.
- Turn once or twice during the cooking period. Melt the butter in a skillet. Add white onions and brown on all sides. Add to the beef in the Dutch oven. Cook for 30 minutes more or until the beef is tender. Remove beef and onions to a hot serving platter. Cook down the liquid in the Dutch oven. Add the beef and onions back, stir and serve.
- Although beef bourgignon is usually cooked from cubed beef, you can certainly use a whole rump roast. Have the beef rump tied. If there is very little fat on the outside, have the butcher tie on several pieces of beef suet for added moisture. Brown the roast on all sides. Follow the directions as given. To serve, slice beef and serve with the gravy poured over.
Sign up here and be the first to get new recipes and tips.
Beef bourguignon is just one of our wonderful selection of tasty beef recipes. Find them all here.
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to share it on your favorite social media. You can add your comments below. Thanks a lot.