Oven Baked Beef Bourguignon Recipe2013-04-22
Average Member Rating
(4.8 / 5)
4 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 8 to 10
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 1:30 h
- Ready In : 1:40 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat123
Our oven-baked beef bourguignon recipe is an elegant meal to serve to company.
It makes a great family dinner too, especially for special occasions.
Beef chuck or beef rump roast is certainly not an expensive meat, but it gets dressed up in this easy dinner recipe.
Oven Baked Beef Bourguignon
- 4 pounds beef rump or beef chuck, cut into 1" cubes
- 1/3 cup warm cognac
- 2 whole onions, each stuck with 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 4 cups dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 slice orange
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 18 small white onions, peeled
Heat a Dutch oven (or other large oven safe covered baking dish) over medium-high heat. Add beef and brown thoroughly on all sides. Pour warm cognac over beef and ignite with a match. Allow flames to burn out.
Preheat the oven to 300ºF.
Add 2 cloved onions, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, dry red wine, salt, pepper and orange slice. Bring to a boil on top of the range. Cover Dutch oven, place in the preheated oven and bake about 2 hours.
Turn once or twice during the cooking period. Melt the butter in a skillet. Add white onions and brown on all sides. Add to the beef in the Dutch oven. Cook for 30 minutes more or until the beef is tender. Remove beef and onions to a hot serving platter. Cook down the liquid in the Dutch oven. Add the beef and onions back, stir and serve.
- Although beef bourgignon is usually cooked from cubed beef, you can certainly use a whole rump roast. Have the beef rump tied. If there is very little fat on the outside, have the butcher tie on several pieces of beef suet for added moisture. Brown the roast on all sides. Follow the directions as given. To serve, slice beef and serve with the gravy poured over.
Did You Know?…
Slow cooking allows the meat to become tender and wonderful.
If you have wanted to try French recipes but thought they might be too intimidating, this recipe shows you just how easy it is to put this delicious meal on the table.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below. Thanks.