This amazing beef short ribs recipe is so easy to make with a couple of off-the-shelf additions.
The honey-chili sauce combination is wonderful.
Of course, everything tastes better with the addition of a few cloves of garlic!
This is an any season recipe, but obviously works best in those months you don’t mind having the oven on. I love the idea of these wonderful short ribs on a cool autumn or winter day. So tummy warming.
This beef rib recipe becomes a tasty oven baked beef back ribs recipe simply by replacing the short ribs with back ribs and increasing the baking time as shown.
Sweet and Sour Beef Short Ribs Recipe
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 pounds beef short ribs, or beef back ribs
- 2 onions, sliced finely
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet and sour sauce, commercial or home made
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a skillet, cook onions gently for about 5 minutes to soften them. Remove onions from the pan and place them in a large baking dish. Brown ribs in the skillet and season them with a bit of salt and pepper. Add browned ribs to the baking dish.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan mix the honey, soy sauce, sweet and sour sauce, water, chili sauce and chopped garlic. Heat together for about 5 minutes. Pour over ribs in baking dish.
- Bake for about 45 minutes for short ribs, 1 1/4 hours if you are using back ribs. Baste often with the sauce. Keep the ribs covered for the first 1/2 hour, then bake uncovered.
To make sure this recipe is gluten free (if you need that), check to make sure that all of the sauces you use are gluten free.