Another of our delicious sauce recipes, this bernaise sauce recipe is luscious.
As with most sauces, it is not at all as difficult to make as you might think.
You do need to take care though that you don’t boil the sauce as you cook it to thicken.
Bearnaise sauce adds an elegant touch to a meal. Serve it over steak and you will have a meal you can serve proudly to anyone.
You might think that sauces like this are not healthy, but let’s not judge too quickly.
It does have a fair amount of butter, and that may not be something you want too much of, but just pouring a bit on your meat won’t harm you. And when made with fresh ingredients instead of out of a package, you know that it only contains fresh healthy ingredients. So go ahead and let yourself enjoy a delicious sauce once in a while.
Béarnaise or Bernaise Sauce Recipe
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 - 8 tablespoons butter
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 - 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to your taste
- 1 dash tarragon vinegar
- Put the egg yolks, seasonings and vinegars into the top of a double saucepan. Whisk over hot water until sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the butter in very small pieces, whisking in each pat and allowing it to melt before adding the next.
- DO NOT BOIL, otherwise it will curdle. Add the chopped parsley, finely chopped shallot and a little extra pepper. Stir to mix.
- It is very important that you DO NOT BOIL the sauce. If it comes to a boil it will curdle.
- Do NOT replace the butter with margarine. The results won’t be even half as good and pure butter in small amounts is not unhealthy.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to post it to your favorite social media sites and leave a comment below. Thanks.