Absolutely the easiest and one of the best garlic mashed potatoes recipe I have found – and I LOVE garlic!
The garlic becomes milder as it cooks alongside the potatoes.
Make it Even Healthier:
You can adjust the recipe to your taste. If you are a real garlic lover you may want to try an extra clove or two. I would suggest not going too overboard though until you try the recipe. They are nice and garlicky with the 3 cloves called for here.
Buttermilk is a very healthy alternative to plain milk. And, despite it’s name, it is very low fat.
Another low fat alternative is to replace the milk or buttermilk with chicken stock or vegetable stock. It gives a very nice taste with very little fat.
This recipe is already low fat because you don’t use any butter at all. The wonderful flavor comes from the garlic and buttermilk.
Best Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 2 pounds potatoes, about 5 or 6 medium potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- large pot of salted water
- Peel the potatoes and cut into large chunks about 2 inches in size. Cook potatoes and garlic together in pot of boiling salted water for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes well and return to the pot with the cooked garlic. Mash together adding buttermilk, salt and pepper. Mash until potatoes are fluffy.
- What is a clove of garlic? I had a friend who thought a clove of garlic was the whole bulb. Every time a recipe called for 3 cloves of garlic, she would use 3 whole bulbs. Thank goodness her family loves garlic! So for the beginner cooks out there, “cloves” of garlic are the individual little pieces found within the bulb or head. Each clove will be surrounded by a paper like covering that should be peeled before use.