This is one of the best scone recipes I have found and I love scones.
Scones are very much like our biscuits, but sweeter and richer. The best are made with fresh cream. In fact the English often call them cream scones. We tend to call them English scones. Whatever you call them, they are amazing with butter and jam and can be served warm or at room temperature.
This is a traditional English cream scone recipe and comes out light and tender every time.
Scones can be served at breakfast or brunch or as a bread item with lunch.
Or do as the British do, and serve them with a dollop of whipped cream (The English use clotted cream which is similar), some jam and a cup of tea. Scones are an essential part of English High Tea.
English Cream Scone Recipe
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, whipping cream
- sugar and cinnamon, optional
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and cut in the butter with a wire pastry cutter.
- Beat eggs until light, then mix them with the whipping cream or heavy cream. Add this liquid mix to the dry ingredients, stirring as little as possible.
- Pat the dough or roll it out until it is about 1/4"-1/2" thick. Cut with a biscuit cutter and place on greased and floured baking pan. Or divide dough in half. Pat out each piece and put in greased and floured 7" cake pans. Cut in quarters with a knife so they can be pulled apart when baked.
- Sprinkle the tops lightly with the cinnamon sugar mixture if desired. Bake at 425ºF for about 18 minutes until lightly golden.
Tips and Variations:
- These scones are delicious served warm with butter and jam. Or do it like the Brits and use clotted cream, close to our whipped cream, and jam. Yummy!
- The traditional fruit to add to scones is currants. Add 1/4 cup currants to the dry ingredients.
- Now this really is one of the best scone recipes – add 2 teaspoons of grated orange or lemon zest to the dry ingredients for a light citrus flavor. It’s really delicious.