This fabulous recipe for black bean salad was submitted by Liz Wade of Portales, NM.
If you love Tex Mex recipes, this one is a particular winner. Fabulous flavors that work really well with any Mexican, Tex Mex or Cuban recipes.
I think you will really like this one.
Liz says: If you’re feeling productive, cook a bag of black beans and use about 16 ounces for this recipe. You can use the rest in bean burritos.
This is a colorful, tasty salad that is a great accompaniment to any Tex/Mex or Cuban menu. Even better, it’s super healthy!
Vegetable and Black Bean Salad
- 20 ounces black beans, canned, drain and rinse
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1 bell pepper, orange or red, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 green onions, finely chopped (or red onion)
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped. (Take all large part of stems off before chopping)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (remove seeds and membrane for lighter heat)
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 1/2 - 1 avocado, diced
- 1 - 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Combine all ingredients and let the mixture sit for at least 2 hours before serving to meld the flavors. Overnight is even better.
Serves 8 to 10.
Add cooked green or yellow beans to the mixture for more color and even more nutrition.