This Southwestern black bean soup recipe tastes delicious and is healthy too.
Healthy soup recipes can be the staple of a well rounded healthy diet and this one sure fills the bill.
Tasty vegetarian soup recipes (if you use vegetable broth) like this are perfect for replacing meat in our diets once in a while, while still providing a hearty meal and great taste.
This is a very healthy recipe. The black beans are a great protein alternative to meat, plus the garlic, onions and vegetables round it out to make it a healthy meal in a bowl.
Serve this delicious soup recipe with a taco salad for an easy Mexican dinner any day of the week.
Add a dollop of sour cream to the soup when you serve it and surround it with tortilla chips.
Southwestern Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, small, chopped
- 3 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 parsnips, sliced
- 6 cups boiling chicken broth, water or vegetable broth
- 1 can black beans, drained
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet. Add onions and saute until they are translucent. Add garlic and cumin and cook 3 minutes longer. Add carrots and parsnips and cook 3 minutes longer. Add boiling broth or water. Deglaze the pot by stirring up the small bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add black beans. Simmer for 1 hour.
Tips and Variations:
- This soup can be pureed in a blender if you want a creamy black bean soup.
- Use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth to create one of the nicest vegetarian healthy soup recipes you will find.