Overnight Breakfast Casserole Recipe2013-04-24
Average Member Rating
(4.9 / 5)
8 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:20 h
This information is per serving.
Total Fat17.9 g
Saturated Fat10.1 g
Total Carbohydrates18.2 g
Dietary Fiber1.5 g
This wonderful overnight breakfast casserole recipe works perfectly for breakfast or a brunch buffet.
I love easy, make ahead brunch recipes.
Make ahead casseroles like these are wonderful for any time the morning will be hectic and you want to take the pressure off the cook.
Cheesy Breakfast Casserole
- 2 cups asparagus or broccoli, chopped (or 1 cup of each)
- 4 cups stale bread, cubed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Steam or boil vegetables for just a minute to partially cook them. Set aside.
Place bread crumbs in greased 9 inch square casserole dish. Add cheese and vegetables. Toss together gently.
In a bowl beat eggs, milk and mustard. Pour evenly over bread mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least two hours.
In the morning (or when you are ready to bake it), preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Bake the casserole for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown and set in the center. Let it stand for 3 to 4 minutes before serving.
Tips and Variations:
- Got a crowd? Double the recipe and bake it in a 9″x13″ pan instead of a square one. Just make sure it is cooked through in the center by testing with a toothpick.
- Want easy make-ahead breakfast or brunch recipes? Make this breakfast casserole recipe and our hash brown potato casserole recipe. Add toast and fresh fruit and voila – an easy buffet!
- Add meat. Add chopped ham or cooked loose breakfast sausage meat or cooked and crumbled bacon.
- You can also replace the broccoli or asparagus with chopped mushrooms (shown in the image.)
Did You Know?…
Breakfast casseroles are particularly great for company or to put together the evening before a big holiday, like Thanksgiving, Easter or Christmas.
They are delicious and easy to make.
I make them any time I have overnight guests.
Take a few minutes the day before to put the casserole together and in the morning just pop it into the oven while the tea and coffee are brewing.
By the time you get the table ready and the coffee in the cups, you will have a delicious breakfast casserole ready to eat.
Easy and delicious – perfect combination for me!
I think you will really enjoy this recipe. I love anything that makes things easy on the cook and this recipe is sure one of those recipes.
If you like this recipe, I’d love it if you would Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, and Like it on Facebook. Share your own favorite recipes below. Thanks.