Mmmmm… this sausage, eggs cheese breakfast casserole is perfect for holiday mornings, weekend breakfasts or the brunch table.
I make it when I have overnight guests.
It is so easy to have it prepared ahead and sitting in the refrigerator. In the morning, just pop it in the oven and voila… breakfast is ready!
I love recipes like this one that make life easier on the cook.
Whether you are having company or just want the morning to be easier on the cook, egg casserole recipes are the answer.
This one combines savory sausage with eggs and cheese – a delicious combination any way you make it. The optional addition of vegetables makes it a well rounded one pan meal.
Sausage, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 2 pounds pork sausage, chopped into bite size pieces (mild breakfast sausage or spicy, your choice)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, plain or grainy
- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1 pound Swiss cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Grease a 9"x13" baking dish.
- Sauté the sausage in skillet until well browned. You can either cut the sausage into pieces or remove it from it's casing and fry it loosely to get a sausage crumble. Either way, remove the sausage from the pan and set it aside when it's cooked. Stir in the mustard.
- Arrange the bread slices in the bottom of a baking dish. Top with the sausage/mustard mixture and grated cheese.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Stir in the milk and seasonings. Pour the mixture over the bread and sausage mixture in the baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight (or for 6 to 8 hours if you are preparing it early in the day for use in the evening).
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Bake the casserole uncovered for about 50 minutes until set and golden.
- Add chopped, sauteed mushrooms, tomatoes or peppers for added nutrition and color.