That recipe name may sound like a mouthful, but you will want many mouthfuls of this fabulous brownie recipe.
This is one of my favorite squares recipes and soon to be one of yours too I think.
It is basically layered brownies, or what some would call macaroon brownies. There is a layer of moist chocolate brownies at the bottom and a layer of cream cheese, coconut and almond macaroon filling on top. Chocolate brownies all dressed up!
It’s topped with either a chocolate drizzle or sweet chocolate icing.
Coconut Macaroon and Chocolate Brownie Recipe
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 5 eggs, divided
- 1 cup flour, + 2 tablespoons, divided
- 2 cups almonds, toasted and chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sweetened coconut, flaked
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Melt unsweetened chocolate and butter over low heat until the butter is melted. (You can also do this in the microwave for 2 minutes on medium power). Stir until completely smooth.
- Stir in 2 cups of the sugar and 3 eggs. Stir in 1 cup flour and half of the chopped almonds. Spread the mixture in a greased and foil lined 9"x13" baking pan.
- Beat the cream cheese with the remaining sugar, eggs and flour until smooth. Stir in remaining almonds and the coconut. Spread over the brownie batter.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean.
- Top with either of the suggestions below.
- Melt two ounces (two squares) of semi-sweet chocolate and drizzle over the squares before cutting.
- Make a batch of homemade chocolate icing (or use the canned variety if you prefer) and ice the entire top of the macaroon brownies (as in the image above).
Cool in the pan before cutting into squares.
Makes 2 dozen layered macaroon brownies.
This layered brownie recipe is rich and sweet, but you won’t be eating it that often so give yourself a treat.
The news isn’t all bad though. The chopped almonds are full of nutritional value.
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to share it on social media. Thanks a lot.