Candied Sweet Potatoes2013-04-25
Average Member Rating
(4.6 / 5)
5 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 25m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 45m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat35
Candied sweet potatoes are a staple in some homes, especially during the holidays.
If you haven’t yet tried them, do.
It is one of my favorite baked sweet potato recipes and is very easy to make.
- 6 sweet potatoes, peeled
- salt and paprika
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Cook whole sweet potatoes covered, in boiling water to cover, until nearly tender.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Cut the potatoes lengthwise in 1/2 inch slices. Place the slices in a shallow greased baking dish. Season with salt and paprika. Sprinkle with brown sugar, ginger, lemon rind and lemon juice. Dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Replace the brown sugar with 1/3 cup maple syrup. Not just a Canadian favorite, the maple syrup will add a wonderful richness and distinctive taste to the dish.
- Top the candied sweet potatoes with toasted pecans as shown above just before serving.
Baked sweet potatoes are full of nutrition, yet they are so sweet they taste like dessert.
The added bit of brown sugar will get most of the pickiest vegetable eaters interested.
I would make this recipe healthier but cutting the amount of sugar in half. Suit your own taste buds though.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment and your own recipes below.