Cream of Carrot Soup Recipe2013-04-25
Average Member Rating
(4.9 / 5)
9 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 5
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 30m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat63
Cream of carrot soup is one of those luscious soup recipes that is a quick and easy every day soup to prepare, but is elegant enough for even the nicest dinner parties.
The great part is that kids will probably love it and not even now that it is a vegetable soup.
This version is a low fat but tasty, easy soup recipe.
Make it a vegetarian soup by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
Creamy Carrot Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 - 10 ounce can chicken broth or vegetable
- 1 soup can water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup milk
Sauté garlic and onion in butter or margarine. Add carrots and potato. Stir to coat with the butter or margarine. Add chicken broth, water, salt, tarragon and pepper. Simmer, covered, over medium heat for 15 minutes until vegetables are well cooked.
Purée the soup in batches using a blender, hand blender or food processor until it is smooth. Pour the soup back into saucepan. Stir in milk. Heat and serve.
- You can use cream instead of milk in this soup for a truly creamy soup. I personally find carrot soup quite rich enough without the cream and using milk cuts down on the fat content of the recipe considerably.
- Make it vegetarian by using an equal amount of vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
A Healthy Soup Recipe
You really can take the fat out by using milk instead of cream and still have great taste. I would use the milk, but you can see in the Variations above that you can make this an even more creamy soup by using real cream instead of the milk. Suit your own taste and your own desire for fat level in the milk/cream.
With onion, garlic as well as the carrots it really is a nutritious soup.
If you like this recipe, I’d love it if you would Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, and Like it on Facebook. Share your own favorite recipes below. Thanks.