Cream of carrot soup is one of those luscious soup recipes that is a quick and easy every day soup to prepare, but is elegant enough for even the nicest dinner parties.
The great part is that kids will probably love it and not even now that it is a vegetable soup.
This version is a low fat but tasty, easy soup recipe.
Make it a vegetarian soup by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
A Healthy Soup Recipe
You really can take the fat out by using milk instead of cream and still have great taste. I would use the milk, but you can see in the Variations above that you can make this an even more creamy soup by using real cream instead of the milk. Suit your own taste and your own desire for fat level in the milk/cream.
With onion, garlic as well as the carrots it really is a nutritious soup.
And the best part is that it tastes fantastic.
Cream of Carrot Soup Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, medium, chopped
- 3 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 20 ounces chicken broth, or vegetable broth, 1 can plus can of water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Sauté garlic and onion in butter or margarine. Add carrots and potato. Stir to coat with the butter or margarine. Add chicken broth, water, salt, tarragon and pepper. Simmer, covered, over medium heat for 15 minutes until vegetables are well cooked.
- Purée the soup in batches using a blender, hand blender or food processor until it is smooth. Pour the soup back into saucepan. Stir in milk. Heat and serve.
- You can use cream instead of milk in this soup for a truly creamy soup. I personally find carrot soup quite rich enough without the cream and using milk cuts down on the fat content of the recipe considerably.
- Make it vegetarian by using an equal amount of vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.