Chinese Cashew Chicken2013-04-25
Average Member Rating
(4.6 / 5)
9 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 30m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat286
Cashew chicken is one of the most popular Chinese chicken dishes around.
Don’t let the long looking list of ingredients deter you.
This is a VERY easy recipe to make, as are all stir fry recipes.
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup broth
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 whole chicken breasts cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 - 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cut
- 2 carrots, sliced diagonally (thin)
- 2 cups snow peas
- 1 1/2 cups cashews
Combine first 8 ingredients for the sauce and set it aside. In a bowl, combine the next 3 ingredients, Add the chicken and toss.
Heat a frying pan to high heat. Add oil. Heat to hot, not smoking. Add chicken, ginger, garlic and onion. Fry and stir until chicken is opaque, about 1 minute. Add peppers and carrots. Stir 2 - 3 minutes. Add snow peas and the sauce. Cook until it comes to a boil. Add the cashews and serve.
- Use either salted or unsalted cashews, whichever you prefer. Remember that the soy sauce will be salty too.
- Add more crunch with the addition of crispy fried noodles to the finished stir fry.
- Great served over boiled rice or Chinese egg noodles.
Make it Even Healthier
I would make this recipe even healthier by omitting the ketchup, which is high in salt, as well as the sugar. I don’t think you need them. If you like this kind of recipe to be sweet, try cutting them both in half at first and see how you like it. You can always add it back in. Gradually try to keep reducing the amount of ketchup and sugar in the recipe until you omit them altogether.
Other than that, this is a very healthy recipe. Serve it over cooked brown rice or even quinoa to make an even healthier meal.
There is just something about the combination of chicken pieces, wonderful Chinese seasonings, savory vegetables and crunchy, salty cashews.
The best way to make this chicken recipe quickly is to be very organized.
Get everything out first, chop and measure it all, then when the ingredient is needed, just pop it in.
If you like this recipe, I’d love it if you would Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, and Like it on Facebook. Share your own favorite recipes below. Thanks.