This creamy cauliflower soup recipe can be made in your slow cooker / crockpot or on the stove. Either way, its an easy, delicious soup.
Creamy, cheesy cauliflower soup makes a great low cost meal. So quick, easy and budget conscious – three great reasons to give this soup a try. Oh, and if you use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, it’s also vegetarian. Even if you aren’t an all out vegetarian, many of us are trying to eat more meat free meals these days and a hearty cheesy soup like this one fits perfectly.
I love making crockpot soups because they are super easy and even on a hot summer day you can have a tasty meal without heating up the house.
I keep saying that this cauliflower soup recipe is a “meal”. I tend to love soups as a meal, especially if you have some great bread or add in a salad. That said, serve this soup as a first course, lunch, easy dinner or even a snack. Whatever works for you.
Crock pot recipes are perfect for people who are busy. Put everything in the pot, set it to low and you can feel free to leave the house to do whatever you need to do.
This is a must try if you like creamy vegetable soups.
Fresh or Frozen Cauliflower?
You can certainly use fresh cauliflower in this recipe and that would be my preference. If you do use the fresh cauliflower I would just cook it for an extra hour. Freezing the cauliflower makes it softer than the fresh, so fresh will take a little longer to cook.
Stove top Cauliflower Soup Directions:
Some of us don’t have a slow cooker, or you might have a crock pot but want to enjoy this soup quickly. Not a problem! Just put all of the ingredients except the cheese and milk in a stock pot or Dutch oven type soup pot and bring it to a boil. Lower the temperature to medium low and let it cook for about 45 minutes. Add the milk or cream in for the last 5 minutes. Add the cheese at the end of the cooking time and cover the soup until the cheese melts. Stir it all together so it’s nice and creamy and ooey gooey with cheese. Add more salt and pepper to taste if you need.
You can also use the slow cooker feature on your Instant Pot for this recipe. Watch the cooking time though as I have heard that the slow cooker feature on the Instant Pot cooks faster than a regular crockpot.
Cheesy Slow Cooker Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 2 bags cauliflower, 16 ounce bags frozen. See notes below for using fresh
- 1 onion, medium, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk, or cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the cauliflower, onion, celery and broth in your slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. (See notes below about using fresh vs frozen cauliflower in this recipe.)
- Puree the soup, ideally using a hand blender. Return the soup to the crock pot (slow cooker) and mix in the milk, Worcestershire and cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Warm it enough to melt the cheese. Garnish with one of the suggestions below if you want to make it pretty.
Pretty Serving Suggestions:
- Garnish with green onions and additional cheese.
- Garnish with roasted cauliflower pieces and chopped chives as you can see in the image.
- Using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth makes this a wonderful vegetarian recipe.
- If you use prepared broth, either canned, the tetra pack or bouillon cubes and water, don’t add extra salt until you taste the soup. Prepared broths can be quite salty and you may not need any extra salt at all.
Browse all of our delicious soup recipes here.
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to Pin it to Pinterest, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below. Thanks a lot. I’d also love to enjoy your favorite recipe so please feel free to add it and your comments below.