This cheese potato soup is absolutely yummy! Even better, it’s yummy and good for you!
Notice there is no cream in the recipe. The soup get its creamy consistency by blending the cooked vegetables and adding them back into the soup.
This recipe proves that delicious food doesn’t have to be expensive. It is a great example of budget recipes at their best! Low cost, healthy and delicious.
This hearty soup is perfect on a cool day. Serve it with a simple salad and some whole grain bread for an easy weekday dinner.
Cheese and Potato Soup
- 5 tablespoons butter, or margarine
- 2 potatoes, large, peeled and sliced
- 2 onions, large, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 1/4 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat the butter or margarine in a large, heavy pan and add the sliced vegetables with a little salt and pepper. Stir well, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened and slightly golden in color.
- Add the stock and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the soup has thickened and the vegetables are very tender.
- Strain the soup reserving the liquid. Put the vegetables into a blender and blend until smooth or just slightly chunky, then return to the liquid. Mix well. Or use a hand blender to blend the vegetables right in the cooking pot.
- Add the grated cheese and stir. Reheat, stirring constantly, until the soup is thick and creamy. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- To make it vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken or beef stock.
- For more vegetables, add 2 grated carrots to the pot when you add the potatoes.
- Here is a serving suggestion: Thinly slice French or Italian bread pieces and toast. Top the toast with more cheese and broil until it is bubbly. Put a piece of cheesy toast on the individual bowls of soup when you serve them.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to share it on your favorite social media. You can also share a comment below Thanks so much.