Cheese Potato Soup2013-04-27
Average Member Rating
(4.3 / 5)
7 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 4 to 5
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 35m
- Ready In : 50m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat147
This cheese potato soup is absolutely yummy! Even better, it’s yummy and good for you!
Notice there is no cream in the recipe. The soup get its creamy consistency by blending the cooked vegetables and adding them back into the soup.
Creamy Cheese and Potato Soup
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 1/4 cups beef, chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Heat the butter or margarine in a large, heavy pan and add the sliced vegetables with a little salt and pepper. Stir well, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened and slightly golden in color. Add the stock and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the soup has thickened and the vegetables are very tender.
Strain the soup reserving the liquid. Put the vegetables into a blender and blend until smooth or just slightly chunky, then return to the liquid. Mix well. Or use a hand blender to blend the vegetables right in the cooking pot. Add the grated cheese and stir. Reheat, stirring constantly, until the soup is thick and creamy. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- To make it vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken or beef stock.
- For more vegetables, add 2 grated carrots to the pot when you add the potatoes.
- Here is a serving suggestion: Thinly slice French or Italian bread pieces and toast. Top the toast with more cheese and broil until it is bubbly. Put a piece of cheesy toast on the individual bowls of soup when you serve them.
This recipe proves that delicious food doesn’t have to be expensive. This represents budget recipes at their best!
This hearty soup is perfect on a cool day. Serve it with a simple salad and some whole grain bread for an easy weekday dinner.
If you like this recipe, I’d love it if you would Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, and Like it on Facebook. Share your own favorite recipes below. Thanks.