This is a delicious recipe for baked cheesy potatoes.
Oven baked potatoes are so much tastier to me than those baked in the microwave and have a much nicer texture.
The addition of a bit of butter, fresh herbs and a mix of cheeses makes it absolutely heavenly.
The fresh herbs really up the nutritional value of these tasty cheesy potatoes.
These potatoes are often called hasselback potatoes. I have no idea where that name came from (if someone knows and can tell me, I would appreciate it), but they sure are good.
They are great for an everyday supper or to feed a group.
This recipe for hasselback potatoes is great for entertaining too. They look great on the plate but are so easy to make, it keeps things easy on the cook. Always a good thing!
Herbed Hasselback Cheesy Potatoes
- 4 potatoes, medium sized
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh chives, parsley, thyme or sage, chopped, or 3 teaspoons dried
- 4 tablespoons cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Peel potatoes if the skin is tough, otherwise just scrub and rinse them. Cut them into thin slices but do not cut all the way through. (You can use the handle of a spoon to prevent the knife from cutting all the way through).
- Put potatoes in a baking dish. Fan them out slightly. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with herbs. Bake potatoes for about 50 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from the oven. Sprinkle with the cheeses. Bake potatoes for another 10-15 minutes until they are lightly browned, cheeses are melted and potatoes are soft inside. Check with a fork.
- Absolutely yummy!
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for a larger group.
- You can prepare part of this recipe ahead if you wish. Just bake the potatoes for the 50 minutes, then set aside until you are ready to finish them. Top them with the cheeses and pop back into the oven to reheat and melt the cheeses.