This recipe shows that chicken salad recipes can be both very healthy and very delicious.
It is a fabulous easy salad recipe with Asian flavors and influences, this time the flavors of Indonesia.
A Healthy Chicken Salad
Indonesian recipes often use peanuts and peanut sauce to flavor the dish.
This salad dressing recipe is just that – a tangy, spicy peanut sauce with lime and a hint of sesame oil. It adds fantastic flavor to the chicken salad.
And the salad itself is chock full of tasty, healthy ingredients. In addition to the lean chicken breast, it has carrots, bean sprouts, green onions and celery, plus the more unusual addition of raw zucchini sticks.
It is a fabulous combination that adds color and crunch to the salad. Top it off with fresh fruit and you have an amazing tasting salad.
All in all, it’s a wonderfully healthy salad recipe. It is also great for those needing gluten free recipes or diabetes diet recipes.
The recipe calls for pineapple, but mango or papaya are equally wonderful additions to this delightful Asian salad.
I love peanut sauce. We usually think of it as an accompaniment to chicken satay and you will find our recipe for that here, but you can see here that it is a perfect sauce in other recipes as well.
Healthy chicken salad recipes like this one make perfect lunches or easy dinner recipes.
You don’t need to serve much else with it. Maybe a fruit salad for dessert?
Indonesian Chicken Salad with Peanut Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple, fresh, mango or papaya, diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 3/4 cups bean sprouts
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 zucchini, cut into thin sticks
- 3 stalks celery, cut into thin sticks or slices
- 3/4 cup unsalted peanuts
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked, sliced (or 3 cups leftover chicken)
- 6 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 4 to 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 red chili, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- In a large bowl add the pineapple, carrots, bean sprouts, scallions, zucchini, celery, peanuts and sliced chicken. Toss to mix them together well.
- For the dressing, in a small bowl add the peanut butter and gradually whisk in the olive oil and soy sauce. Stir in the red chili, sesame oil and lime juice. Mix the peanut sauce until it is well combined.
- Pour the salad dressing over the salad and toss lightly to coat all the ingredients. Serve immediately.
- If you need a fully gluten free recipe, make sure the soy sauce you use is gluten free.
Sign up here and be the first to get new recipes and tips.
Find more fantastic chicken salad recipes here.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to share it on your favorite social media. You can also share a comment below Thanks so much.