This chili con queso recipe is fabulous, especially if you like the mix of Mexican flavors it brings.
The ingredient list may be a bit longer, but it is SO easy to make and SO worth it.
Did You Know?…
Chili con queso (or chile con queso) is Spanish for “chile with cheese”. This kind of cheese dip is very popular in Southwestern cuisine, particularly Tex Mex food.
It really is just a simple cheese sauce with some zesty flavors added.
Chili Con Queso Recipe
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, old, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 14 stuffed olives, small, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 hot pepper, fresh or canned, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 ounces green chillies, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk, or cream
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- tabasco sauce to your taste
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not brown. Whisk in the cream. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly, for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Season with salt. When the cheese has melted, stir in the remaining ingredients. Keep warm in a chafing dish or fondue pot.
- Serves 6-8 as a appetizer.
- Serve this queso dip with corn chips or tortilla chips or as an accompaniment to Mexican dishes such as quesadillas, burritos, fajitas, our enchilada casserole.
- You can also use this chili con queso recipe as a sauce to pour over vegetables or omelettes. Fantastic!
Like this recipe? I’d love you to share it on your favorite social media. You can also share a comment below Thanks so much.