Chili Recipe: Chili Con Carne2013-04-28
Average Member Rating
(4.1 / 5)
15 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:15 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat84
This chili recipe, or chili con carne, is a basic recipe that is so easy to make.
You’ll see that you can go in many directions with this recipe, to spice it up, veggie it up, or leave as is – whatever your preference.
I often add vegetables to my chili to make it a real meal in a pot. I add celery, a few chopped carrots, and sometimes some canned corn.
Chili Con Carne
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 - 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 - 20 ounce can red kidney beans
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional but adds an extra bit of flavor)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Sauté onions over medium heat in non-stick pan or in a touch of oil. Add ground beef and garlic and brown well. Add salt and pepper while beef is cooking.
Drain off any excess fat after frying meat. Add canned tomatoes, kidney beans and seasonings. Mix well, cover and cook for 1 hour over medium low heat. Adjust seasonings to your taste.
- Use canned mixed beans, black beans or garbanzo beans in place of the kidney beans.
- Add any or all of the following vegetables:
– 1 small or 1/2 large red or green pepper, chopped.
– 8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced.
– 1 can corn kernels or niblets.
– For the braver of heart and lovers of hot, add a few chopped hot peppers and as much hot sauce as you can take.
Did You Know?…
This chili recipe is pretty healthy. You can replace the ground beef with ground chicken or turkey to make it even leaner. Or use extra lean ground beef.
Chilli tastes better to me with lots of garlic. The recipe calls for 2 cloves, but I usually use about 4. It really ups the nutrition factor too.
Chili is one of the classic comfort foods. It seems like the perfect easy dinner recipe on a cold winter night, but works just about any time of year.
If you like this recipe, I’d love it if you would Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, and Like it on Facebook. Share your own favorite recipes below. Thanks.