This lovely recipe for coconut rice comes from a terrific vegetarian cookbook called The Vegan Cook’s Bible.
Brown rice is so much healthier for us than white rice. This time it is combined with the rich taste of coconut milk, garlic and candied ginger. What a wonderful combination! So healthy too.
I’m not vegan, but you don’t have to be to enjoy this delicious recipe.
Coconut Rice with Cauliflower
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 cup brown rice, short-grain or long
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, small, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch candied ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, fresh whole wheat
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In a saucepan over high heat, bring the coconut milk to a gentle boil. Stir in the rice. Cover and reduce the heat to low and cook for 40 minutes. Do not remove the lid during cooking. Stir the rice, which will be very wet and soupy. Increase the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or until the rice is tender and creamy.
- In a deep skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Stir in the onion. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Stir in the cauliflower and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until tender and fairly dry. Stir in the bread crumbs.
- Add the cauliflower mixture to the rice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Use 1-2 cups grated parsnips, turnip or carrot in place of the cauliflower.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to share it on your favorite social media. Thanks so much.