This is a luscious and lovely cream of corn soup.
It is good any time of the year, but a particular treat when sweet corn is fresh and at it’s prime.
Either way is an easy soup recipe, with few ingredients and ready for the table in less than 30 minutes.
You can make this tasty vegetarian soup any time of the year though because it tastes amazing made of canned cream style corn as well.
With vegetable soups like this, it’s easy to put a fresh homemade soup on the table that even kids will love.
If you or the kids really don’t like onions, simply leave them out. The onions really up the flavor profile though.
As well, the parsley and chives as garnishes are optional, but do add flavor and nutrition.
Cream of Corn Soup
- 2 1/2 cups corn, cut from the ear, simmered until tender in 1 cup milk (or 2 1/2 cups creamed style canned corn)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, medium, sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- pinch black pepper, freshly ground
- nutmeg, grated, optional
- 3 cups milk, or 2 1/2 cups milk and 1/2 cup cream
- 3 tablespoons parsley, or chives, chopped, optional
- If you are using fresh corn, simmer it in 1 cup of milk until it is tender.
- Put the cooked or canned corn through a food mill, food processor or coarse sieve. Melt the butter. Simmer the onion in the butter, until soft. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper, a touch of nutmeg, the corn and the milk. Heat through.
- Serve the soup sprinkled with chives or parsley.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to share it on your favorite social media sies. Plus, submit your own recipe below in the comments section. We would love to help you share your creations with the world.