This is an easy and delicious Mexican doughnut recipe, called Churros in Mexico.
They are light and delicious and topped with a yummy cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Crispy on the outside and soft and light on the inside. This is what good doughnuts are meant to taste like.
The recipe comes from a cookbook full of yummy Mexican treats called Mod Mex.
If you want to try your hand at homemade donuts, give this recipe a try. They really are fantastic.
Mexican Doughnut Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 stick unsalted butter, 8 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus 1 / 2 cup for coating
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus 4 cups for frying
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus 1 teaspoon for coating
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, large
- In a medium-size pan with a heavy bottom, combine the water, butter, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup oil, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, salt and vanilla and bring to a boil. Stir in both flours and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the dough no longer sticks to the side and forms a ball in the center of the pan.
- Transfer the hot mixture to a large bowl, Using a hand held electric mixer, beat in the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Let the dough cool and then spoon it into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Pipe the batter in 10 inch strips onto the parchment, and let them set for 8 - 10 minutes, or until firm, but slightly tacky to the touch.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining oil over high heat to 325°F. Slide the strips of dough into the pan, one at a time, and fry until golden brown, 5-7 minutes, turning once.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Toss the doughnuts in the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat and then serve warm.
- Makes 12-15 donuts.
How about an entire Mexican meal? Start out with taco soup.
Create a Mexican feast with this churro doughnut recipe as dessert. Start with our Chicken Enchilada casserole.
Subscribe to the site here and never miss a great recipe.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to share it on your favorite social media. Thanks so much.