If you like a baked fish recipe with a little bit of a kick, you will love this Cajun Haddock recipe.
Actually, although I have used haddock for this recipe, any thick, firm fleshed fish will do nicely. It works really well with cod too.
This is such a simple, healthy recipe, great for those of us trying to follow a healthy diet, but wanting to eat tasty food while doing so.
This Cajun fish would be wonderful served with rice mixed with spices and tomatoes, Louisiana style, and a salad.
You can easily adjust the heat level by decreasing or increasing the amount of cayenne pepper you use. Or, if you like heat, add a bit of your favorite hot sauce when the fish is served.
This easy baked fish recipe is perfect for so many specialized diets – whether you need diabetic recipes, low carb recipes or gluten free recipes, it suits them all really well.
Spicy Cajun Haddock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 haddock fillets, at least 1" thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a small bowl combine salt, oregano, cayenne pepper, paprika, black pepper, fennel seeds and thyme. Sprinkle over 1 side of the fillets and rub in with your fingers.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large oven proof skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook the fillets, spice side down, until browned, about 2 minutes. With large spatula, turn the fillets.
- Place skillet in the preheated oven and bake until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, about 5 minutes.
- I have suggested haddock for this recipe, but you can use any thick fleshed fish you prefer.