This delicious flounder recipe is almost a meal in itself.
It is a baked fish recipe, that is surrounded by vegetables while it bakes. Just add a bed of spinach and some steamed rice or rice pilaf and dinner is done.
I love easy fish recipes like this and I think you will too.
Of course we know that fish is healthy for us, but look at the wonderful vegetables this fish is cooked with. Garlic, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes are all known to be loaded with fantastic health giving properties. If you serve it on a bed of steamed spinach as suggested above you have a simple dinner recipe that provides amazing nutritional value.
It’s also gluten free, a real bonus for anyone who is gluten intolerant or who has celiac disease.
Flounder Recipe with Vegetables
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, fresh, sliced
- 1 onion, medium, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup tomato, chopped and peeled
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, cut and steamed until almost cooked
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 flounder fillets, about 3/4 pound
- salt and pepper to your taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Sauté the mushrooms, onion, garlic and basil in the vegetable oil until the onion is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the chopped tomato, green beans and lemon juice. Sprinkle the flounder with salt and pepper. Place the fish in a greased 12"x8"x2" baking dish. Top the fish with the vegetable mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
Makes 2 servings.
Serve over steamed spinach, with lemon wedges available for flavoring. To prepare the spinach, remove the stems, wash the leaves and place them, still wet, in a large saute pan (do not add water), cover and cook for 3-5 minutes. Drain the spinach well. Chop and arrange the spinach on a serving platter. Gently transfer the fish and vegetables to the platter. Garnish with lemon slices if desired.
This is a great diabetic recipe. It’s low carb and very healthy. If you are looking for healthy diabetes recipes, count this one in.