I think that a French dressing recipe was the first salad dressing recipe I learned to love as a child.
There is just something about the tangy mix of ingredients that works really well on a green salad.
You can see below how to turn this into a classic red French salad dressing, plus a creamy version, below.
The creamy version of this recipe also works nicely as a vegetable dip. Serve it with carrot, pepper and celery sticks and pieces of raw broccoli and cauliflower for something different.
You can also serve this French dressing recipe on our Cobb salad, instead of the classic blue cheese dressing it is usually served with.
A bit old fashioned you think? Maybe, but sometimes classic still works and this is a good example of that. It is classic, easy and always welcome.
French Dressing Recipe
- 1 cup olive oil, or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Simply shake all the ingredients in a tightly covered container. Shake the dressing again before pouring it over the salad.
For The Classic Red Dressing:
- Add 1/2 cup ketchup to the Classic French Dressing.
For the Creamy Version:
- To make the creamy version of French salad dressing shown in the image above, add 2 tablespoons of sour cream or yogurt.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups, enough for 6 to 12 salads, depending on size.
- Serve this delicious dressing over a chef salad of mixed greens with slivered red onions, chopped tomatoes and cucumbers. Add your favorite croutons.
Sign up here and be the first to get new recipes and tips.
Find all of our salad dressing recipes here.
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to share it on your favorite social media. Thanks a lot.