I think that a French dressing recipe was the first salad dressing recipe I learned to love as a child.
There is just something about the tangy mix of ingredients that works really well on a green salad.
You can see below how to turn this into a classic red French salad dressing, plus a creamy version, below.
The creamy version of this recipe also works nicely as a vegetable dip. Serve it with carrot, pepper and celery sticks and pieces of raw broccoli and cauliflower for something different.
A bit old fashioned you think? Maybe, but sometimes classic still works and this is a good example of that. It is classic, easy and always welcome.
French Dressing Recipe
- 1 cup olive oil, or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Simply shake all the ingredients in a tightly covered container. Shake the dressing again before pouring it over the salad.
For The Classic Red Dressing:
- Add 1/2 cup ketchup to the Classic French Dressing.
For the Creamy Version:
- To make the creamy version of French salad dressing shown in the image above, add 2 tablespoons of sour cream or yogurt.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups, enough for 6 to 12 salads, depending on size.
- Serve this delicious dressing over a chef salad of mixed greens with slivered red onions, chopped tomatoes and cucumbers. Add your favorite croutons.
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to share it on your favorite social media. Thanks a lot.