This French toast recipe is so easy and delicious you will want to make it every morning.
You can adjust this recipe easily to serve as many as you want.
It is basically just one egg to every two slices of bread. Adjust the milk, sugar and spice accordingly.
I don’t know if the French actually make what we call French toast but if not, they should.
Here’s a tip to get the kids loving their breakfast. Cut the bread into long sticks or fun shapes before you dip it into the egg mixture. Give them a small bowl of sauce to dip the stick into and them them go. A bowl of applesauce is perfect.
French Toast Recipe with Sweet Cottage Cheese Topping
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 slices bread, whole grain or white
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1 kiwi, sliced or 1 cup fresh strawberries, or 1 cup blueberries
Cottage Cheese Topping:
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- For the cottage cheese topping, combine all the topping ingredients in the container of an electric blender. Process until smooth. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the topping over each hot bread slice.
- Garnish with fruit and drizzle syrup over all if desired.
- Combine the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Stir until blended.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray or a bit of oil, and place over medium low heat until hot.
- Dip the bread slices, one at a time, into the egg mixture. Drain off any excess.
- Arrange the bread in a single layer in the skillet and cook about 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat with remaining bread slices, coating the skillet with additional spray as needed.
- Serve with syrup, sliced fruit or the lovely sweet cottage cheese topping.
Tips and Variations:
- Use either non-stick spray or a bit of oil to cook the toast. I like a bit of oil. It adds a nice crispness to the recipe.
- Use whatever bread you want for french toast. Obviously white bread works. Try it with a sweet egg bread, Italian or French crusty bread, cinnamon raisin bread, or multigrain breads.
- Try something really different! Make french toast using banana bread. What a taste treat. Great for Sunday brunch or to serve company.