This recipe for fried cauliflower was originally submitted to Cookingnook.com by Sheila Sharma. Sheila is from Kolkata, West Bengal, India so you just know this recipe is an authentic Indian vegetable recipe.
Sheila says: This is a crispy and spicy, easy to make snack. It is made by cauliflower as well as cabbage. It goes wonderful with tea in the evenings.
Fried Cauliflower, Indian Style
- 1 cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 cups gram flour, ban or chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, black, kanji or halo era
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, thus thus or ponto
- green chilies, chopped, or to your taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger, chopped
- salt, as per taste
- 1 pinch baking soda
- mustard oil, to deep fry
- Cut the cauliflower and half boil it with salt.
- In a bowl, mix ban (chickpea flour), salt, thus thus (poppy seeds), kanji (cumin seeds), green chilies, ginger, salt and baking soda nicely and make a consistent batter.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan. Dip the cauliflower pieces in the batter and deep fry until the coating is golden.
Gram flour is chickpea flour, also known as besan, gram flour or ban.
You can also make this recipe with cabbage instead of cauliflower. If you do that, follow the steps above, the only difference being, chopped cabbage is to be used and there is no need to boil it.
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to share it on your favorite social media. Thanks a lot.