If you love garlic anywhere near as much as I do, you will love this garlic mashed potatoes recipe that uses roasted garlic.
It is easy to make and the garlic adds a beautiful rich garlicky flavor.
Mashed potatoes are such a classic. Everyone loves them.
The addition of garlic, another favorite flavor for most of us creates a real taste sensation.
This is comfort food at its absolute best!
Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe with Roasted Garlic
- 2 pounds potatoes, or about 5 to 6 medium potatoes
- large pot of salted water
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk, or cream
- 3 to 4 cloves roasted garlic, click here for directions for roasting garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut into 2 inch chunks. Place in large pot of boiling salted water and boil for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork.
- Add roasted garlic cloves (squeezed out of their skins), milk and a bit of salt and pepper. Mash well with a potato ricer or masher, or an electric mixer until all is thoroughly combined and potatoes are fluffy. Add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- For a lower fat mashed potato, replace the milk with an equal amount of chicken or vegetable stock. Start with just 1/2 a cup of liquid and add the rest if needed.
- You can also cook the potatoes with the skins on, particularly if the skins are nice and thin. Just make sure the potatoes are well washed. The roasted garlic mashed potatoes shown above have been cooked with their skins on.
These potatoes would make an excellent side dish for either of our meat loaf recipes.