This recipe is called gingerbread, but it is not to be confused with gingerbread cookies.
This gingerbread cake is lightly flavored with ginger, cinnamon and cloves. I am not a huge clove fan, but this recipe has just a bit of cloves, enough to round out the flavor nicely.
Although ginger bread is often associated with the holidays it is a perfect any time easy cake recipe.
Your family and friends will love this rich, slightly spicy gingerbread recipe.
You can add raisins if you like, or chopped nuts. Slivered almonds would be a nice addition to this recipe.
Because it is made with molasses this is a bit of a richer, denser cake. Take care not to over mix the batter. That would make it more dense.
I think you will enjoy this lovely, not too sweet cake, any time of the year. It is great cut into squares and packed into lunches.
Gingerbread Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the sugar, oil, and eggs in a mixing bowl and beat them together well. Dissolve the baking soda in boiling water and add it to the sugar mixture together with the molasses.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix it together, just until all the lumps are gone. Do not over mix. Pour the batter into a lightly oiled 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Cool the cake before removing it from the pan.
Makes about 12 servings of luscious cake.
- Add raisins if you would like. They add even more moisture to this lovely cake.
- Nuts would also be a good add in. Use walnuts or almonds. Slivered almonds would both look lovely and taste delicious.
- Take care not to over mix the batter. Like muffins, quick breads like this will be less light in texture if the batter is mixed too much. Just stir until all the ingredients are mixed together.