This is a delicious and healthy granola recipe.
Granola, or muesli, as it is known in Europe, is a baked mix of oats, wheat germ, nuts, seeds and fruit.
You make it once, cool it, then keep it in the refrigerator or freezer. It keeps for months in the freezer, but won’t be around anywhere near that long, it is so good.
This easy muesli recipe will quickly become one of your favorite breakfast recipes.
Healthy Granola Recipe
- 2 cups oatmeal, uncooked, quick or old-fashioned
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup coconut, shredded
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup apples, dried, chopped or 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine the oatmeal, wheat germ, walnuts, sesame seeds, coconut and dates in a 9 inch square shallow pan. Mix the honey and oil in a small saucepan and heat, stirring until mixed. Add the honey mixture to the cereal mixture and toss lightly.
- Bake at 325°F, turning from the bottom with a spatula, every 5 minutes. Cook until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Cool.
- After the mixture has cooled, add the chopped dried apples and store it in covered containers in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Serve with milk as a breakfast cereal or as a topping for creamy desserts or fruits. My favorite way to serve granola is to sprinkle it on plain yogurt and add fresh fruit such as blueberries or sliced strawberries for extra flavor and nutrition. Fabulous!
Tips and Variations:
- You can vary the recipe but using nuts and seeds that you prefer. For example, use pecans instead of or in addition to the walnuts.
- Leave out the wheat germ for a gluten free granola recipe. Add more oats to make up the volume. (Make sure the oats are gluten free).
- Use unsalted sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds instead of or in addition to the sesame seeds. It will be quite delicious.
- You can replace the dried apples with chopped dried apricots.
- Note: If you find yourself adding in a bit of this and a bit of that, simply increase the amount of the honey and oil mixture you prepare to coat the granola before baking. That way you ensure that it doesn’t come out dry.
Oats are one of the healthiest grains you can eat. Find out why here.