This Peruvian Steak Salad is a delicious grilled steak recipe. The dressing is a lovely mix of sweet and spicy.
The salad itself combines a mix of vegetables with a wonderful grilled steak perched on top.
This fabulous steak salad recipe comes from the cookbook The Barcelona Cookbook: A Celebration of Food, Wine, and Life, a cookbook based on the recipes from the famed Barcelona Wine Bar and Restaurants in Connecticut.
Slice the steak thinly and heap in on top of the salad while it is still warm.
This is a good diabetic recipe. You can omit the teaspoon of honey in the dressing or replace it with something like low glycemic coconut sugar or stevia.
Peruvian Steak Salad
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- black pepper, freshly ground, to your taste
- 2 plum tomatoes, peeled and seeded, firm flesh chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, or poblano, seeded, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 jicama, peeled and julienned preferably with a mandoline)
- 1/2 cucumber, julienned (preferably with a mandoline)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 pieces skirt steak, 8 ounces each, trimmed of excess fat
- kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, extra-virgin
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- For the Dressing:
To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, soy sauce and honey. Season with the pepper flakes and black pepper. Set aside until needed or cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Whisk or shake well before using. To make the salad, toss the tomatoes, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, jicama, cucumber and onion in a mixing bowl.
- For the Grilled Steak Recipe:
Prepare the gas or charcoal grill so that the heating element or charcoal is hot. Season the steaks on both sides with salt and pepper. Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side until medium rare or cooked to your desired degree of doneness. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- For the Salad:Divide the lettuce among 4 salad plates. Drizzle lemon juice over each plate and then drizzle each plate with a little extra-virgin olive oil. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the dressing over the bowl of mixed vegetables and toss to mix.
- Spoon equal amounts of the vegetables over the lettuce. Slice the steaks on the bias into strips 1/2 inch wide by 3/4 inch long, cutting nearly to the edge of the steak, but leaving each piece intact. Wrap the steak around the mound of vegetables to resemble a crown.
- Garnish each plate with a cilantro sprig.
If you absolutely need this recipe to be gluten free, please make sure your soy sauce is gluten free. Some of them are not.