Mmmmm….homemade ice cream!
Is there anything quite like it on a hot summer day?
That cold, sweet, refreshing creaminess hits the spot every time.
Whether it is in a cone, a bowl, or a topping on another dessert, this vanilla ice cream recipe is quite heavenly.
This is a real home made vanilla ice cream recipe, made with real cream and eggs.
If you have a vanilla bean, use it. There is nothing like homemade ice cream with real vanilla bean flavor. It’s the perfect match.
Homemade ice cream is healthier for us too, because you know exactly what is in it.
Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- Beat the egg yolks with the vanilla and the sifted sugar until the mixture is very thick and almost white.
- Lightly whip the cream until it is just beginning to thicken. Gently fold it into the egg yolks. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff but not dry. Gently fold one spoonful into the ice cream mixture. Gradually add the remaining egg whites. If you are adding favoring, blend in carefully at this stage.
- Turn the cream into a large freezer tray or plastic box and cover. Freeze, stirring occasionally during freezing.
- When you are ready to serve your ice cream, let it sit at room temperature for just a few minutes to make it easier to scoop out.
- Pure vanilla extract works much better than the cheaper version in this recipe.
- If you have a vanilla bean, that’s even better. Scrape the inside of one vanilla bean into the mixture.