This is a flourless homemade orange cake mix that uses fresh oranges and is gluten free.
It can be difficult to find delicious gluten free cakes so this one is a real keeper.
Be sure to add this to your file of recipes for orange cakes, as you will find yourself wanting to make it over and over.
Make it with lemons and it will become one of your family’s favorite lemon cake recipes.
This is a great recipe for those who are wheat intolerant or who have wheat allergies and need gluten free recipes.
The recipe calls for clementine oranges but feel free to substitute your favorite sweet oranges.
This cake is even better the day after it’s made!
Gluten Free Orange Cake
- 1 pound oranges, clementine, or other oranges, about 4 or 5
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 1/3 cups ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, heaping
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Put the oranges in a pot with some cold water, bring to a boil and cook for 2 hours.
- Drain and, when cool, cut each orange in half and remove the pits. Put the whole oranges - skins, fruit and all - in a blender and pulse.
- Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until it becomes a pulp. Butter and line an 8 inch springform pan.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for an hour. The cake is ready when a skewer will come out clean. You may have to cover with foil after about 40 minutes to stop the top from burning.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool, on a rack, but leave it in the pan. Take it out of the pan only when it is completely cooled.
- Makes one 8" round cake.
- Use an equal amount of lemons to turn this into a flourless lemon cake recipe. You may need to add just a bit more sugar to account for the greater acidity in the lemons.
- Substitute an equal amount of Splenda or other bakeable sugar replacement and turn it into a wonderful sugar free cake, great for those looking for diabetic dessert recipes or just watching your sugar intake.