Have you wondered how to cook lobster so it turns out perfectly each and every time?
Well our easy instructions will have you cooking up the tasty crustacean in no time.
Lobster has to be one of the world’s most glorious foods. Nice to know it is also good for us.
Seafood is low in fat and full of nutrients, that is unless we go wild with the garlic butter.
This recipe is for boiled lobster. It is the traditional way of cooking it and the way it is usually done in restaurants and local seafood boils.
Lobster is not in season all year, so when it is, take advantage and treat yourself to one of life’s truly great pleasures.
How to Cook Lobster
For each person you will need:
- 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 pound live lobster
- cold salted water
- garlic butter
- lemon wedges
- Put a folded towel or tea towel on the bottom of a large, heavy pot. Place the lobster on it. Cover with cold salted water. Bring the water to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, slightly less if the lobsters have recently shed and are soft. Drain.
- Serve the lobster at once, leaving the head, body and tail intact and surrounding the lobster body with the claws. Provide each person with a small bowl of garlic butter for dipping and lemon wedges. Once it is removed from the shell, drizzle the lobster meat with lemon juice and dip into the warm garlic butter.
- Each lobster serves 1 person.
- Make garlic butter by adding finely chopped garlic to the butter as it warms. Add as much or as little garlic to the butter as suits your taste.
- It is best if you can keep the butter warm while you eat the lobster.
- Some people also add cut lemons and some seafood seasoning such as Old Bay to the cooking water. It adds a bit of extra flavor. If you don’t have Old Bay, the lemons work nicely.
- Putting the lobster into cool water and letting it slowly come to a boil may sound cruel but supposedly it isn’t. The lobster gently goes to sleep as the water warms.
I have included this recipe in our list of good diabetic recipes because it is quite low carb. Serve with vegetables and a large salad. It is also a gluten free recipe and a low carb recipe if you need either of those.