Here is a different salad. It is a jicama salad with apple and coconut. It gets a bit of tartness from lemon or lime juice and a few red chili flakes and some crunch from nuts. Sounds yummy.
The recipe was originally contributed by Bobi E. from Rincon de Guayabitos, Nay. Mexico. It sounds fantastic.
Bobi says: I serve this with any grilled meat, particularly pork and ham. It is wonderful to take to potluck dinners. Be sure to double the recipe!
Also, reduced calorie or low fat mayos are okay.
If you are not familiar with jicama (I certainly haven’t had it much), it’s quite a crunchy vegetable and would be great in a fresh vegetable and fruit salad like this one.
I love the addition of the coconut and apple for sweetness and I love potluck recipes like this that are just a bit different.
Apple and Jicama Salad
- 2 apples, pared, cored & diced
- 1 jicama, medium, pared & diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or lime juice
- 1/4 cup coconut, flaked
- 1/4 cup peanuts, shelled, unsalted, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes, or powder - optional
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- In a bowl, combine the diced apple and jicama and toss with lemon juice to keep from browning. Stir in the coconut and peanuts; then add the mayonnaise a spoonful at a time, using just enough to moisten the salad. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Drain before serving.
This is also a good diabetic recipe.