Leftover Turkey Recipes: Creamed Turkey2013-05-11
Average Member Rating
(4.4 / 5)
9 people rated this recipe
- Yield : 16 cups
- Servings : 8 to 12
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 40m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat319
Mmmm… turkey leftovers – one of the best parts of a turkey dinner.
As leftover turkey recipes go this is one of the nicest I’ve found.
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots or 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups turkey stock or chicken bouillon
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
- 6 cups cubed cooked turkey leftovers
- 1 cup diagonally sliced celery
- 2 sweet red peppers, seeded and cut into thin julienne strips
Melt butter in a large saucepan with tight-fitting lid. Add shallots and sauté until soft and almost clear, about 5 minutes. Push shallots to side of pan. Add entire amount of flour to butter, then stir with a wooden spoon until very bubbly. Do not let it brown.
Gradually add bouillon, whisking constantly over medium heat. Add sherry, cream, salt and Tabasco. Stir constantly until thickened and fairly smooth.
Add turkey and celery. Cover and turn heat to low. Continue cooking just until turkey is warmed through, stirring frequently.
You can refrigerate the mixture at this point to use the next day or continue.
Just before serving, stir in sweet red peppers and celery and heat through.
Serve over noodles or spoon into flaky pastry cups.
Makes 16 Cups
- If you like your leftover turkey recipes hotter increase the amount of Tabasco sauce. For even more heat, add 1 hot red pepper, seeded and finely chopped, when you add the leftover turkey to the mixture.
You can up the amount of Tabasco you use if you want to kick up the heat a bit. I like it with just a touch of spice, but that is certainly one of the ingredients you can vary.
It makes a lot too, so it is not only an easy dinner recipe but a great party food recipe as well.
It’s certainly a nice change from hot turkey sandwiches.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment and your own recipes to share below.