This is a luscious lemon pound cake recipe.
The directions call for it to be placed into a bundt cake pan. It does look wonderful in one of those fancy bundt cake pans, but a plain one will do.
If you don’t have a bundt pan, or you prefer loaf shaped cakes, you can also divide this cake recipe into two average size loaf tins. Check cakes after 35 minutes of baking as they will bake faster than the bundt pan.
Also, the glaze is optional. You can leave the pound cake plain or dust it with powdered sugar as you see in the image above.
The cake has a touch of almond extract to add richness and extra flavor.
The ooey gooey glaze is a sweet tart mix of lemon juice, lemon rind and sugar.
It is a perfect complement to the rich lovely cake.
Lemon Pound Cake
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 3/4 cup milk
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 3/4 cup confectioner sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the oil and sugar and mix well. Add the eggs and continue beating the mixture until it is smooth. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt into the egg mixture. Add the remaining ingredients and mix together well.
- Pour the batter into a lightly oiled 12 cup bundt pan. Bake for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the glaze ingredients. While cake is still hot, pierce several times with a cake tester or toothpick to create small holes in the cake, then spoon the glaze over the cake.