I just love lemon squares! They are the perfect mix between sweet and a bit of tart.
This is an easy and delicious recipe that I think you will love.
This recipe for lemon squares is quite easy to make. The base is just a sweetened crust recipe and the filling is a luscious creamy, tartly sweet lemon.
This is a perfect holiday recipe, but is a wonderful dessert for any time of the year. Make them for your next pot luck. Friends and family will love you for it and it will quickly become the always requested dessert.
Is there a time when lemon for dessert just isn’t right? Not for me! Give me lemon anything, any time.
Lemon Squares Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour, unsifted
- 1/2 cup icing sugar, unsifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs, large
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, icing sugar and salt. Cream in the butter until the mixture turns into a pliable dough. It will look like shortbread. Pat the dough evenly by hand into the bottom of a buttered 9"x13" pan.
- Bake for 11 minutes. Let cool slightly before adding filling.
- While the base crust is baking, beat together all the filling ingredients until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Mix well.
- Pour over the hot baked base. Return the squares to the oven immediately. Bake at 350°F about 25 minutes until pale gold in color. During last 5 minutes, put a cookie sheet below the baking pan to be sure the bottom does not burn.
- Remove from the oven. Let cool completely in the pan on a cake rack.
- Cut into squares. Store in tightly covered container.
- Makes about 24 squares.