This spicy lentil soup recipe, with its bit of garlic and the hit of curry is just delicious.
It is one of the most wonderful vegetarian soup recipes I have tasted.
Lentil soup is an quick and easy recipe that you can make for lunch or dinner any day of the week.
This recipe is vegetarian but it can also be a vegan soup recipe. Just don’t serve it with yogurt and you’re good.
Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 clove garlic , crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt, optional - for serving
- chopped fresh coriander, optional - for serving
- Soften the onion in a little oil. Add the curry paste and stir well.
- Add the stock and lentils and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until the lentils are well softened.
- To serve, mix the coriander into the yogurt, and add a portion to each bowl.
- The recipe calls for Greek yogurt, but if you can’t find that in your area, just substitute regular plain yogurt. Or omit the topping entirely.
- If you prefer, you can use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock. Obviously it won’t be a vegetarian recipe any longer.
- If you are into hot and want to kick it up a notch, add a few drops of your favorite hot sauce.
This recipe is a bit higher in carbs than most diabetic recipes I recommend, but it is a whole meal in a bowl. You really don’t need anything else, except maybe a salad on the side, to make a great diabetic diet meal.