Macaroni and Cheese Recipe Baked with Two Cheeses2013-05-12
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
5 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 50m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat356
A luscious and cheesy macaroni and cheese recipe, this easy dinner is full of soft gooey goodness with a tasty, crispy top.
Very easy to make, this macaroni cheese recipe will be a hit at the family dinner table.
Great to take to a pot luck too – everyone loves old fashioned macaroni cheese.
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 pound grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Using 1 tablespoon butter, generously grease a 2-quart baking dish.
Melt 3 tablespoons butter, add flour and cook over moderate heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not brown.
Add milk and whisk constantly until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add cheddar cheese and stir until it is well blended into the sauce. Add the seasonings and stir. Remove from the heat.
Meanwhile, cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain well, but do not rinse. Put macaroni back into the pot and add the cheese sauce. Stir until it is all well mixed.
Pour the macaroni and cheese mixture into a baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and dot with pieces of the remaining tablespoon of butter.
Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Tips and Variations:
- If you prefer you can vary the cheese flavor. Use 2 cups of grated strong cheddar cheese and 2 cups of another cheese like Swiss, Gouda or Munster.
- You can add some heat if you prefer by adding a few drops of hot pepper sauce to the cheese sauce.
- Use a different pasta shape and your mac and cheese will look far more elegant. Try penne pasta or fusilli (the corkscrew shape).
This mac and cheese recipe is actually ready to eat after it has been cooked on the stove, but tastes much better if you bake it for a while with buttered crumbs for that little extra crunch.
I also add a touch of Parmesan cheese for more depth of flavor.
After I began making my mac and cheese from scratch, the boxed version just didn’t cut it any more. I am sure you will feel the same after trying this easy recipe.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment and your own recipes below.